Here we go, 2020! Have you set goals for the New Year? What is it that you want to achieve? Regardless of what you are working towards, it’s really important to remember to set realistic expectations when it comes to creating goals. Often times we hear of the person who wants to lose a few pounds and starts off going to the gym 7 days a week and also cuts out one or more of the major food groups. By week 2 or 3 the regime becomes too hard to keep and the person throws their goal out the window. Does this happen to you? If so, you may be setting goals that are unrealistic to achieve. If you’re looking for some help, here are some steps that might help you stick with your goals this year:
How to Set Goals: A Little Counseling Style 😉
- Set a goal that you would like to work towards. Write them down!
- Identify the reasons why you want to work towards these goals. You may need to remind yourself of them along the way.
- Think about a realistic time frame for each goal. Remember to be truthful because you want the goal to be obtainable. It’s also important to remember that while we can set a time frame, realistically these things may take more time. Be careful not to set yourself up for disappointment, be flexible!
- No journey to reaching a goal is ever without some bumps in the road. Think about some of the bumps you may encounter while working towards these goals.
- Coping skills! How will you cope with each of the possible bumps in the road? What motivates you to keep moving forward and not give up. Also, go back to step 2!
- Think of a few people you feel supported by. Who will be there to listen or give you that pep talk to get back on track?!
- Think about steps on your journey to achieving your goal that can be celebrated. Remember that it’s as much about the journey as it is the destination. What can you do to celebrate small success along the way?
- Use positive self-talk to keep yourself motivated. Negative self-talk is a big saboteur of achieving goals. Negative thinker? Read my blog Negative Thinker!
- Frequently take some time to reflect on progress towards long term goals. Does anything need tweaking. Remember -- I told you to be flexible!
- Don’t give up! Expect you may want to, many times.
Whatever it is your working towards this year, remember to treat yourself kindly as you go through your steps. As I always say, nobody is perfect and all we can do is work towards becoming a better version of ourselves. Call A Little Counseling if you would like help on your path to becoming a better version of yourself. Regardless, set some goals -- YOU GOT THIS!